Sunday, June 21, 2015

Family Vacation, Nauvoo, Part 3

Today was Fathers day! 
I am so grateful for Mike! He is the best dad, and a pretty awesome husband. We sure love him. He is the hardest worker I have ever met and the best example for my kids. I love you Mike even though your eyebrow looks crazy in this picture!
 I asked the kids some questions about Mike.  Wesley said he liked it when Mike makes vegetable people with him. Jaycee likes swimming with him.  They both knew his age. They thought his favorite things to do were swim, work, and go to Chicago with his family.
Sunday, June 21, 2015
We got up early and headed to Nauvoo. We had to stop and get gas. Jaycee was not happy with us, she didn't want to break the Sabbath. :) We had our picnic while we were at the gas station. 
The kids were so good to keep busy with their sticker books.
Our first stop was Carthage Jail.
We took the tour first.
The missionaries showed us the jail first. It was interesting, they said the jailer had given them his own bedroom to stay in because he was worried about them being on the main floor. 
After it was a jail the owners used this room as bedrooms.  When the church bought it they restored it to it's original form.
It was amazing that it still had so many original features, including the door with the bullet holes. A piece of the door was missing. A boy found it out in the outhouse!

I took a picture looking through the bullet hole. 




These kids could not keep their hands off this statue! They were hanging all over it. They just had to be touching it.  I thought that was pretty neat.
After the tour we went in and watched a video.  Bensen wasn't excited about the movie, or the tour for that matter.

Finally we were off to Nauvoo.
The first thing we did in Nauvoo was go to the temple.
The kids favorite parts were the bells that rang on the hour, the sandstones, and Angel Moroni.
Bensen liked the flowers!

I liked the stained glass windows.  It really is a beautiful temple.
Wesley needed a closer look!
Then we went to the visitors center, which has closed about 10 minutes before we got there, so we went to the Women's Garden.
The kids liked the statues and wanted to reinact all of them.

Then we went and set up our camp ground for the night.
Later we went to the Trail of Hope tour which used to be called the Trail of Tears. President Hinkley changed it. It was neat, the missionarys read stories from pioneer journals.
We also saw fireflies for the first time! They were so neat. We also saw a lot of may flies. They were not so neat as gross. They were everywhere by the river.  I'm just glad they weren't by the campground.




No comments: