Saturday, January 25, 2014

Welcome Bensen

Bensen Thomas Borgstrom was born January 19, 2014 at Davis hospital. He was born at 4:29 pm and weighed 8 pounds, 9 ounces, and was 22 inches long.
 By far my biggest baby.  Each pregnancy and labor have been so different. He was no exception. Here is Wesley's story. Jaycee doesn't really have a story, her labor was a breeze! I was induced, they got me started around 8:30 am, I got my epidural after noon.
 There is something with me and epidurals, they just don't take well. I had the anesthesiologist give me a shot of lidocaine, which helped for a while. Around 4 I was really in a lot of pain and the baby's heart rate dropped down into the 50's and 60's. My room filled up with nurses really fast.  They had me flipping from side to side until his heart rate came back up to normal. The anesthesiologist came back and gave me something that really numbed me up. I'm not sure what it was, but even my hands were numb.  By the time my doctor came and it was time for me to push I couldn't feel a thing. I don't know how good of a job I did pushing.  Mike said I pushed for about 20 minutes.  It seemed like a lot longer than that to me.  I was so exhausted, and I couldn't breath.  Even my lungs felt numb. I had to use my inhaler, and I could barely keep my eyes open between contractions. After pushing for 20 minutes my doctor decided to use, I swear she called it the mega vacuum. I also received an episiotomy, I've never had one of those before, so that's been fun...NOT! I guess he came out head up, which is not ideal, his hand was also up by his face, and the cord was wrapped around his neck! He was breathing though, and that's all I really cared about. After that it was pretty much a blur. 
 I only held him for a minute, I was so light headed and sleepy I didn't dare hold him. I think I looked like this for about a half an hour after I had him. Nice huh?
 A funny side note.  Joy was on one side of me during the delivery, right after I had him she disappeared.  She had to go sit down, she had been holding her breath and breathing with me, she got sick.  I think everyone in the room was holding their breath. After the dizziness and light headedness wore off, I got the shakes. Luckily the medicine wore off pretty quick then I was ready to hold my Bensen.
I am so grateful everything worked out.  It is so scary going in for delivery.  You hope and pray everything will be ok for you and the baby, and that the baby will be healthy.  We have been so blessed with healthy children. I know that each baby is a miracle sent from God. I don't know that I deserve them, but I am so grateful for them.
The kids were able to come to the hospital the next day and see him. 
 They love him so much!

 Here is our first family photo.

 It was so nice having the kids come up and see us.  When I had Wesley they wouldn't let Jaycee come to the hospital.
I have a sweet friend who lost a baby this week.  It makes me realize how precious my babies are. I am going to hold them and love them for as long as they will let me.
We are so blessed.

No comments: