Sunday, October 5, 2014

Be Prepared

We decided to do bag meals again.  I have missed having them.  It is so nice to go into the pantry and know I have something I can make for dinner, and that it will be done in about 20 minutes! The church cannery doesn't sell canned beef anymore, and to tell you the truth, I hated their canned beef! I looked around and couldn't find anywhere around here that sells canned beef. I found a place in Ohio that sell ground beef, but it was going to cost about $90 to ship it here. Yikes!
I have been wanting to can beef since I canned chicken. I loved having canned chicken, and it tasted pretty good. It was a pretty big job, but Mike did most of the dirty work. Canning beef was much easier. We bought about 30 lbs from Winegers for about $3.50 a pound. Mike found THIS tutorial online that I followed.
I just lightly browned and salted the beef, and added water. Mike helped me put everything into the jars. He is the best!
We did pint jars. 
We had enough to do two batches.
33 cans in all and the best part is that every single one of them sealed!
So we were able to finish up with our bagged meals.  This time around we did White Chicken chili, Carmae's Chili, Enchilada Soup, TexMex Goulash (my kids favorite), Taco Soup, Baked Ziti, Chocolate Chip Muffins, and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes. These were my favorite.  There were several last time that I didn't like, and wouldn't eat.
It's so nice to have a stocked pantry again.
Wesley took Bensen to the beach while we worked.  They are sitting on the beach next to the water.  He even made the sky, which was taped to the light.  He is so creative.
Later that night me and Jaycee went to The General Women's Conference. Wesley and Mike made food people.
Here are a couple of pictures of Wesley on his birthday.

He got two parties this year one at the Borgstroms.
And one at the Baileys.
Unfortunately he was sick for both of them.  But I had already made the cakes, so the party must go on.  He ended up with croup! 
He still had fun. We sure love this boy.

No comments: